Blog Archive

Thursday, October 30, 2008

US Elections coming soon

Since i am not an american citizen i won't have the opportunity to vote. Unfortunately. I believe that the USA has so much power and so much influence on the world that the rest of the world should have a saying in this election. Well, since we can't i would like to send out a small message. A poker pro on the forums i used to hang these days posted a message in his blog. It's all about his hero. He is a bit overwhelmed with Obama, but i have to give him credit he did his job of research. Only if all americans would do this way. I'm sure Obama would get elected. Now i really hope he will. Please take a few minutes and read his story and check out the video on you tube. Thx! VOTE OBAMA!!!

Here's the post:

This is not a blog to try and bash John Mccain or any of the bad things I perceive the republican party has done over the years. This is not a blog where I vent my frustrations over the way my country is handling things. And this certainly isn’t a blog where I want to try and point out why Barack is the better candidate for Presidency amongst the two candidates. This blog is my true thoughts and beliefs as to why I believe not only will Barack be the best President in US history, but one of the finest men to ever grace this planet as well as a little of how my story helped shape my love for him.



I first decided I wanted to learn more about this guy with a funny name that everyone was talking about as possibly being the next President about a year ago. I knew that our country needed great change and that the current system was not one that had the collective interests of the masses at heart. Because of that belief and hearing that Obama embraced the interests of the middle class, I began doing my homework on him. I bought his book, Audacity of Hope, and watched as many youtubes of him as I could find. After poking around on youtube, I came across Barack’s 2004 DNC speech and it literally shook me to tears. I simply couldn’t believe that there was a man that had a very real chance of reaching the highest office in the land, who shared all of my core beliefs. In that speech he talked about so many things that I wholeheartedly embrace, but the one that stood out the most was when he said that he had a fundamental belief that, “I am my brother’s keeper. I am my sister’s keeper.” That really stood out to me. He later went on to say that, “If there is a child on the south side of Chicago that can’t read, that matters to me even if it’s not my child. If there’s a senior citizen somewhere who can’t pay for their prescription drugs and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer even if it’s not my grandparent. If there’s an Arab-American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties.” Hearing all of this made my eyes flood with tears as I recalled the times in my life where I got a close up view of just how ugly greed and selfishness can be. I too can recall my own parents placing their pocketbooks ahead of what was best for me in nearly every situation. I too can recall having a heart condition that I knew was more involved than the Dr.s who were incentivized to not tell me the real truth were telling me. And I can remember the concern I expressed about this to a family with a net worth in the 8 figures, only to once again receive the cold shoulder. I know what it is like to feel like you are on your own and it is certainly not a lot of fun. That is why I was in tears when I found a hero that actually had a fighting chance to help put an end to the suffering that so many families go through on a daily basis.

As I learned more and more about Barack following my intial exposures, I fell more and more in love with what he stands for. I really feel like I have gotten to know him. I have probably watched some of his best speeches 30 or 40 times each! The great thing about Barack is that if you are ever in doubt as to how he may stand on a particular issue, you really don’t need to think any further than to just figure out what is right for the masses is probably where he stands on the issue. He stands for doing the right thing. I also love the fact that he really doesn’t keep much of an eye out for the rich. As someone writing this who most people would probably define as rich, I am here to tell you that I don’t need anyone to take care of me. I don’t need a tax break. What makes my life richer is not going to be extra money in the bank, but rather extra smiles on the faces of those less financially blessed than myself. Barack understands something that took me a long time to figure out. I used to be pretty hardcore in the sense that when people didn’t have health care or enough money for retirement or money in their saving account for a rainy day, I used to say things like, “You had your whole life to make money, too bad.” Or, “If maybe you got off your lazy butt and worked a little harder, you’d have a job that paid for health care.” But then I came to realize two very important lessons. First of all not everyone comes from the same background as me and for some it is difficult to overcome all of the obstacles placed in their path. Obstacles that are out of the realm of their control. The second thing, and most important, thing I learned, was that even if every single person took my advice and worked their tail off to climb the ladder, someone has to dig the ditches, pick up the trash, flip the burgers etc. That will never go away. We can’t all have cushy desk jobs and executive positions. So even if the whole nation took my advice, it would just mean the bar would be raised, but the jobs still need to get done. So for me to not think of society as a collective group trying to reach a common goal just stopped making much sense. Barack helped me come to that epiphany.

When I think about the life that Barack has lead it has just inspired me to be so much more than what I am. Here is a man that grew up from a mother that left him at a young age to study overseas and a father who he only knew once for about a month when he was 10 years old. He was mostly raised by his Grandma who he described as the financial rock of the family. He, like nearly every kid growing up in a broken home, did poorly at school and did his fair share of drinking, drugs and hanging out with the wrong crowd. Despite this potentially devastating upbringing, something clicked along the way and after going to junior college for 2 years, he got into Columbia University which is one of the most amazing schools in the country. After graduating from there, he turned down all of the lucrative job opportunities bestowed upon him and worked as a community organizer for several years for just enough pay to get by. Later he went back to school, this time to Harvard. He became the President of the Harvard Law review and upon graduating, once again turned down the amazing job offers that literally could’ve afforded him the type of wealth few in this country get to experience. He again went to work to help those less fortunate.

That was the part that truly blew my mind. There are a lot of people in this world that accumulate a lot of money and then give something back to the community. There are very, very few people who turn down the option of becoming rich in the first place so they can help people out. This for me sealed the deal with him. I now have no reason to believe he will abuse his pwer as President because he clearly isn’t a man that seeks money and power. I have long been skeptical of politicians. It is my opinion that most say whatever it is they need to say to get elected, and then use their position of power in ways that totally violate the spirit of someone who is supposed to be an elected leader of his or her constituents. But I have no fear that Barack will do that. He has shown no signs at any point in his life that he would behave in that way. He is a man of the highest possible integrity and is here for one reason and one reason only. That reason is that he believes that the universe is bigger than himself. He recognizes that he has been blessed with an opportunity to change the world and truly serve the people in a way that can positively affect the way people live their lives on a day to day basis. I think he is well aware that when he signs his oath of office this January, that he may very well be signing his own death certificate in the same way that Lincoln knew the moment he signed into law the bill that would free the slaves, that he too stood a much greater chance of his own life being taken. Now I obviously hope that Barack remains one of the most influential people until he’s 100 years old, but I, like many others, fear for the man.

Many men before him who have stood up for what they know deep in their bones is the right thing to do, have been fought hard by those in power. On a very minor scale, I have experienced the same thing with my father. My father is one of the worst, tyrannical people I have ever known. The men in my family have maintained great power for generations and generations before me. They have consistently treated their wives like possessions and second class citizens. They have ALWAYS placed their own personal wealth above all matters. Their kids were meant to be seen and not heard, and to be a fine representation of the way their father’s felt they should be, not the way the kids themselves felt they should be. Rather than a mentality that wants to see your kids succeed, there was a mentality of wanting to see them do as well, but no better than the fathers themselves. And that power was going to be maintained at all costs by the men in control. And then I came along…lol. I have stood for what is right. I have stood by my family and for the treatment they deserve. I have stood for ending the mentality that the father’s pocketbook should be placed above all else, even the health of his first born son. And because of this, most of my family has been uncomfortable with the change they know in their hearts is right. And as a result, things have been dicey with most of them. Although I did get the most important endorsement of all to me recently, the one of my brother. I have always known that in him lay a great person that was victimized by the entirely forgivable act of believing his father knew best. To respect his right to privacy,I won’t go into too much detail, but all I can say is he ” gets it” now. Maybe not to the degree he someday will, but I have faith in him.

Change is not easy for anyone. Lord knows this has been an amazing climb for Barack. To have a very real chance of being the first black President in just 5 days is truly surreal. I am so proud of him. He has done it all with the unshakeable belief that the American people are tired of the same old politics and want real change. He has done it while maintaining true to his fundamental belief that “you do onto others as you would want them to do unto you.” I still find it incredible at how he has avoided some of the obvious things that he could point out about his opposition because he has held true to his beliefs of running on a politics of hope, not fear. He has said so many times that he wants to run on the issues and has stuck to his guns. He has let the Bill Maher’s and the Jon Stewarts of the world (guys I can’t get enough of btw) take the easy shots at his opposition, while he has continued to listen and support the voices of the people who are the backbone of our economy, the middle class. He has continued to fight for them and to help them just like they were a member of his family. I truly believe that Barack really does look at our country that way. You can just see it in his eyes and the passion and sometimes trembling in his voice. He LOVES this country and he LOVES the people who help make it great. And like myself, he has a special place in his heart for the people who serve our country. He is going to finally give them the real respect they deserve. The US isn’t just going to throw a medal around their necks and watch them pawn it 5 years down the road for a meal because they don’t have the health care (both mental and physical) they need. Barack is going to protect them and honor them in ways that will make us all proud and show are true gratitude for taking on the toughest job known to man. He’s get my vote on that alone.

The number one thing that I am the most excited about to see my hero accomplish, is the collective raise in conscienceless that I believe people will be infected with under a Barack presidency. I forsee millions of Americans approaching situations differently than they would’ve under any other President. I really do believe he will inspire people not only in the US, but all around the world to want to be better. For once, the US will have a role model who they can look up to to do the right thing. I’m not sure this country has had that to the degree that I believe Barack will inspire. The reason why is that not only is Barack someone who I believe is the greatest man in the country, but also because he will be so visible to the American people. Sure, JFK was inspiring, but how often did the public get to see him do anything? My guess is not much considering there were only newspapers and a few TV channels back then. Barack is going to be on the grandest stage in the world for years to come and he knows it and is ready for it. Like I said before, he knows what he means to the world. He is not arrogant about this, but rather he is just very aware. He is not going to get BJ’s from his interns. He knows that all of his work and all that he has accomplished becomes just a big joke if he does that. I was once an Edwards supporter (wanted to see him be Obama’s VP pick), but he clearly was just like most people in his shoes; just another politician placing his own ego in front of what is best for the country. This will not be the case with Barack. This man is too aware and too good of a person for that stuff. Barack is committing his life for us. Every day in office he is going to work to better our lives.

For everyone out there who is supportive of this great man, please get out there and vote. Don’t take anyone for granted. This is a defining moment in our lives. This election will help shape not only the direction of our country, but help restore the fundamental belief that this country id one big family. Let’s end the days where you look the other way and pretend you didn’t see your neighbor. Let’s end the days where we cut someone off on the highway because it helps us get where we want to be 5 seconds sooner. Let’s end the days where we place a dollar above the well being of our neighbor. Let’s end the days where people are suffering because they don’t have the health care they deserve in the richest country on earth. Let’s end the days where we glamorize designer jeans instead of holding the door for a fellow American. Let’s end the days where we value what’s best for the USA over the well being of other countries. Let’s end the days where we prejudge people over the clothes they wear, the ink on their body, their sexual preference or the color of their skin. And last but not least, I’ll end with another quote from Barack, “E plurubis unum” which means “out of many, one.”



No comments: